Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Roasted Carrot Risotto and Yellow Squash Capri Salad

So I wanted to make a fancy dinner for Lindsay since she had been traveling for work for a week. I knew that I had some Abodro rice for quick a while so I figured it was time I finally got around to making some Risotto. I search around until I found a recipe for Caramelized Lemon and Soybean Risotto which looked really good. I did know where to get soy beans so I changed it to roasted carrots.

All and all it was just ok in my opinion. I learned a lot about making risotto, the most important fact being to follow directions and use all the ingredents. I forgot the butter and the cheese. Also next time I think I will add some water in place of the chicken stock since it was a bit too salty and not really creamy. (that might be because of the omission of butter).

Next time I should follow the directions from How to make basic Risotto From Video Jug which will hopefully help.

For an appetizer (which I am glad I made because we were both hungry) was a variation on a Capri salad. Since we don't really like tomatoes it didn't make sense to make a tomato salad. In place of the tomatoes I used roasted yellow squash. I roasted the thinly sliced yellow squash at 425°F for about 10 minutes and then layered fresh mozzarella, yellow squash and a basil leaf with a little salt and pepper. I drizzled with a little bit of olive oil but I need to omit it next time.

Overall it was a pretty good meal and has a lot of potential so I should make again.

No comments:

Post a Comment